Covid healing and dog owners
Research in progress-”Use of Pets to reduce anxiety due to Covid” in which we are analyzing how dogs might help people overcome anxiety due to Covid.
Aditi Sharma, Kiran Toor and I are presently working on an exploration project where we are inviting participants to fill in a questionnaire designed to infer if household pets provide comfort during COVID.
If you would like to participate in this study, please answer the following questions.
Be assured your name will never be used in any of the reports we will write to distribute our findings.
This is a voluntary activity and ethical confidentiality will be maintained
We appreciate your participation if you feel as if you’d like to be involved.
A follow-up zoom meeting will be held where participants can join in on a discussion of the topic if they want to. Again, all is voluntary.
Carolyn and Aditi and Kiran.
Questionnaire for Pets and Students
1. Do you own a pet?
2. If yes, please check any from the following:
3. Did you find COVID stressful?
a. A. Yes
b. B. No
4. If yes, please select any from the following:
a. Due to isolation
b. Due to fear of contagion
c. Due to loss of finances
5. If yes, how would you rate your level of stress?
a. Very high 8, 9, 10 range
b. Medium 5, 6, 7, range
c. Low 2, 3 ,4, range
6. During COVID did your pet help to reduce your stress?
7. If yes, please select any of the following:
a. Comforted me when I was lonely
b. Comforted me when I was afraid
8. If you did not have your own pet, did you turn to a pet outside of your home?
9. If yes, please select any from the following:
a. From my family
b. From my friends
c. From my school
d. From SPCA or other rescue facility
10. Are pets permitted in your home?
11. If no, please select from any of the following:
a. It is not our custom to own pets
b. Parents both work
c. My mother hasn’t time to look after pets
d. Someone in the family is allergic to animals
12. If a new pandemic attacked again, would you be more or less likely to turn to pets?
13. Would you support your school putting in place an opportunity to have pets for students to spend time with?